I love sushi, but somehow I have never come around to make it myself. This recipe got its inspiration from Caitlyn Shoemaker on youtube. She has a great channel and many great recipe ideas.
This sushi is special in the way as it is made of black rice, instead of regular sushi rice. Black rice, or as they call it “forbidden rice”, has a nice nutty taste, and brings some much needed variation to “common” rice dishes.
Black rice sushi
- 2,5 dl of dry black rice
- 1 tbsp flavoured rice vinegar
- 4 nori sheets
- Thinly sliced vegetables or any other toppings of your choice (here red pepper, cucumbler, carrot, and avocado)
- A sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Soy sauce, wasabi, pickled ginger on the side
- Cook the black rice according to the package instructions. Once it’s done mix in 1 tbsp of flavoured rice vinegar, and let the rice cool down in room temperature. This will make the rice sticky.
- Place the nori sheet on your sushi mat shiny side facing downwards. Spread about half a centimeter thick layer of rice on the nori sheet, leaving about 2 cm of empty nori at the top of the sheet.
- At the bottom of your nori sheet place your toppings. Be careful not to put too much (or too little…).
- Wet the empty nori sheet with some water, and roll your sushi roll. Slice the sushi roll into equal sized pieces, and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. Repeat as many times as you need.
Sushi is super easy to make once you get the hang of the technique. This recipe was absolutely delicious, and I’m definitely going to try this again with some other toppings, perhaps marinated tofu or carrot lox. Serve your sushi with some soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger, and enjoy!